A: "Is white subway tile on its way out? What is in/timeless for a backsplash?"
Q: We get asked about this frequently. People generally want to know what is the trend for backsplash tiles, what is popular and what is trendy? Please see our advice:
- White subway tile is a timeless look in that it is simple and clean in appearance. There are so many versions of the white subway tile.
- It comes in many different format sizes…3” x 6” 4” x 8”, 4” x 16”, 12” x 24” and on and on, it comes beveled and rectified and can be installed vertically, horizontally, brick, chevron etc. The grout color that you add to a tile will also change the overall look quite a bit. The most popular grout color is a white or black paired with a white matte or glossy tile.
- It also comes in various finishes like white porcelain, ceramic, marble, and glass. You get the idea…it is a versatile tile in terms of the options.
- We use this tile a lot for our multi family new construction projects b/c there are so many options that are often very cost effective (under 2.00 sq ft)
- We also like to use this tile for our multi family projects b/c it is so clean in terms of providing us with a modern and simple color palette which makes it easy to coordinate our floor tile, vanity color, countertop color.
- This tile can be used in a tub/shower wall application or kitchen backsplash and look very different depending on what other finishes it is paired with or what grout color it is used with…see my examples below.
- I think the practical application of this tile makes it timeless. I don't think you can ever go wrong you a white subway tile and depending on the look you want to achieve, you can install it using a white or black grout, use a matte or gloss finish, lay it out in a stacked, brick or chevron layout.
- Please let me know if you would like specs on any of the above included tiles. I hope this helps!